Monday, January 3, 2011

Taken

Yet another night where I didn't really want to start my quiet time because this time I'm really tired, but thankfully, the Lord has given me discipline despite. I'll be real. When I first read Isaiah 3, I wasn't really sure what it was about or how I could get anything from it. So, I read it, took a shower, and now just reread it and actually like and understand it.

Isaiah 3
Summary: the Lord will judge in the end and anything we have here will be taken away
My take: The Lord will take away anything and everything when people don't follow Him. The Lord is definitely not about showiness.
"In that day the Lord will take away the finery; the jingling anklets, the scarves, and the crescents; The pendants, the bracelets, and the veils..." v. 18, 19
So, I love to shop. I have a lot of things. Do I think the Lord is against having scarves or bracelets, etc? Absolutely not. What I think He's against is letting those things become idols in our lives. This verse is a great reminder that when the Lord comes back, all of the material things we have will be taken away, but it won't matter at ALL because we'll be with the Lord. This idea is something I'm still battling with. What is enough? I know it's all about the heart, but it's really hard to accurately judge your own heart sometimes. Is it okay to want a new dress just because even though I don't need one? I know I could give that money to someone else. It definitely makes me think a lot. I've gotten to the point where I don't buy expensive things anymore, but do I even need the things I do buy? I probably toil with this more than I should because I want there to be one set answer, but unfortunately, there's not one. This issue will probably something I try to figure out my whole life. All together, all of these things we have on earth will mean nothing, so focus less on the things here and more on God.

Lord, give me discernment in this issue. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment