Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Complacent

It's cool how the Lord so many times gives you just what you need to hear through His word. Isaiah 32 was just what I needed tonight. It talks about how righteous God is and how peaceful being His is, but what hit me most was what it said about complacency. You see, it's gotten really easy for me to be complacent as a senior. I know my surroundings. I know the people. I know my classes. I like where I'm at. I have to make sure I walk the fine line between complacency and contentment. While yes, I absolutely want to be content in the Lord (phil. 4:11.. check it out, in my top 5 favorite verses), I never want to be complacent. I guess the difference in the way I see it is that contentment is being content in your identity in Christ, knowing that you are His, wheras complacency is feeling like you don't need to grow in the Lord. Confession: I a lot of times feel like I'm a great Christian and don't have that much growing to do in the Lord. Clearly, I know that's a lie because I'm far from perfect, but it's so easy to get in that mind set through comparison with those around you. When I'm around the normal student, I'm feeling pretty good about my walk with the Lord. But, when I was around my fellow counselors the last couple of summers, I felt like I had leaps and bounds to go in the Lord. Again, it's a fine line between contentment and complacency.
Lord, let me learn to never be complacent. Let me constantly yearn to grow closer to you. Thank you for the way you have solidly given me my identity in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment